Our Ministry’s purpose is to help people cope with job loss and gather information/resources to help them find a job. We desire to share the love of Christ as we assist job seekers.
What to do when you become unemployed:
1. Register on www.crossroadscareer.org as an Explorer by selecting New Hope Baptist church and using keyword: newhopece (case sensitive). Review 2009 Explorer Guide intro, and pick the step you are in for tools and tips. Search job board search engine every day.
2. Register with the Georgia Department of Labor (GDOL) for unemployment benefits and utilize all of their job search resources. Go to the career center closest to you. See www.dol.state.ga.us/find_career_centers.htm. Two centers relatively near New Hope Baptist are:
Clayton Regional Career Center
2450 Mt. Zion Pkwy., Suite 100, Jonesboro, GA 30236
Contact Freddie Lovett, Unit Supervisor | 678.479.5886 x 501, firstname.lastname@example.org
Newnan Career Center
30 Bledsoe Road, Newnan, GA 30265.
Center Manager is Peter Ludlow and phone number is 770.254.7220
3. Visit JobSeekers of Peachtree City meets at First Baptist Church Peachtree City on every Friday morning from 7:30-10:00 AM. For more information contact Laura Weikle, at 770.366.1123 or email@example.com
4. Check the Godel calendar for other networking meetings in Atlanta
5. Get your resume and references ready in an electronic and printable format.
6. Practice your one-minute pitch of the type of work you are looking for. This is needed for anyone that asks what you are looking for in person…on the phone etc.
7. Get an active email address and phone number that is checked regularly. If you do not have internet access, you can go to a career center or public library for access and set up a free email address.
8. Pick 20 target employers you would like to work for and start researching who to call there. Your local library has immense company information or online access to research.
- Let all your friends and previous coworkers know you are looking for a job.
- Contact your school alumni association and ask if they help alumni find jobs.
- Call recruiting agencies that handle your area of expertise.
- Get the hiring manager on the phone.
9. Get your interview clothes ready. Practice questions and answers.
10. If you need quick income think about part time or seasonal work with a company or a staffing firm.
11. Cut your expenses as soon as you can. Make a new budget.
12. Talk to your mortgage company and others you owe…..get them working with you early not late.
13. Talk to your family about relocation possibilities, contract work out of town, traveling jobs, switching roles.
14. Other helpful resources for job leads:
- Fayette County Development Authority
- The Citizen Newspaper Classifieds (New issues on Wednesdays)
- Dolce Conference Center Jobs
- Piedmont Fayette Hospital Jobs
- Career Builder
- Wyndham Peachtree Conference Center job line at 770.486.3271 which has a list of all positions currently available